How to install a new WordPress Plugin?
The functionality of a WordPress website can be dramatically improved with the help of thousands of available plugins out there. WordPress plugins can be installed in a WordPress website in multiple ways, but here we will discuss two ways. Installing directly from the WordPress repository, and installing the plugin from a downloaded file.
Install plugin from WordPress repository:
- Log in to your WordPress Dashboard
- Go to “Plugins” > “Add New” and search for the plugin you want to install on the search box. You can also browse through the Featured, Popular and Recommended plugins to find what plugins other people are using mostly.
- Once you find the plugin that you want to install, click on the “Install Now” button to install that plugin. You can also read more about that plugin by clicking on the “More Details” link on the bottom.
- Once the installation is finished, click on the “Activate” button to activate that plugin on your website.
Note: If you want to deactivate or remove a plugin, just go to “Plugins” > “Installed Plugins”. All the installed plugins will be listed here. Find the plugin that you want to remove and click on the “Deactivate” button. Once the plugin is deactivated, you will see the option to “Delete” that plugin. Click the “Delete” button to remove that plugin completely. We recommend removing any plugins that you are not using on your website.
Install plugin from downloaded file:
If you have bought a plugin from a 3rd party or downloaded any free plugin from other sources, you can upload that plugin using the following steps:
- Go to “Plugins” > “Add New” and then click on the “Upload Plugin” button.
- Click on the “Choose File” button to browse your computer and select the plugin file. Then click on the “Install Now” button.
- After the installation is complete, click on the “Activate Plugin” button to activate the plugin.
While installing plugins from any 3rd party sources, you must always keep security in mind and know that malicious attackers can inject codes on the plugin to do various malicious activities. So, only install plugins from trusted sources.
That’s it! Installing a WordPress plugin should not be any more complicated, and you know how to do it by yourself.