Now it is very difficult to get a good domain name. Because someone has already registered them to their own name. Many people purchase a domain to build their own website and many people buy good domains for reselling. Again many people buy domains and build websites and then sell the domain with that website. Since these domains are already registered after buying these domains, you have to change the ownership. Usually, domain ownership changes are of two types.
- Changing ownership in the same register.
- Changing ownership after transferring in different registers.
Changing ownership in the same register
A domain is purchased from a register or domain provider. Transferring a domain from one account to another account of the current provider is known as changing ownership in the same register. Suppose the domain that you want to purchase is now at IT Nut Hosting. Now you want to transfer the domain to your own account at IT Nut Hosting. For this-
- First, you have to open an account at IT Nut Hosting. If you don’t know how to open an account at IT Nut Hosting, follow this guideline: How Do I Open a New Account On IT Nut Hosting?
2. The current owner of the domain has to open a support ticket from his own account and inform with the details that he wants to transfer his domain to another account.
3. Then IT Nut Hosting will confirm from the current owner and transfer the domain to the new account within 24 hours.
4. Now you have to change the contact information of the domain. You can do that following this guideline: How can I change the WHOIS information of my existing domain?
Following this way, you can buy an old domain from any provider and change the ownership in the same register.
Note: Some providers have an option in the client area for changing domain ownership. By the option, one can change his domain’s ownership on his own.
Changing ownership after transferring in different registers
If it needs to transfer a domain from one provider’s account to another provider’s account then it’s called changing ownership in a different register. Suppose, the domain you want to buy is now at another provider and you want to change the ownership after transferring to IT Nut Hosting. For this-
- You have to transfer the domain to IT Nut Hosting. You can transfer the domain following this guideline: How do I transfer my domain from another provider to IT Nut Hosting?
2. To transfer the domain, you need to know the EPP code. For this, you have to know it from the current register of the domain.
3. After the transferring, a confirmation mail will send to the current owner. If he approves, the domain will transfer automatically within 7-14 days.
4. Once the transfer is done, you have to change the contact information. You can do that following this guideline: How can I change the WHOIS information of my existing domain?
Keep in mind when you will transfer the domain
- The domain must be at least 60 days old.
- Registry lock must be disabled.
- If ID protection or WHOIS protection is enabled, you have to disable it.
Now you know how to change the ownership of a domain. If you need to change the ownership of a domain, just follow the steps.